Monday, January 14, 2008

The 1796 Will of "Hunting John" McDowell

Excerpt from “Hunting John” McDowell’s will, misspellings intact, dated 28 May 1796:

    "... I also bequeath to John McDowell, my grandson, my part of the Flowery Garden and a hundred acres of land that I have entered adjoining the said place; further 640 acres of land upon Beaver Creek; also a negro fellow named Aaron.
    I further bequeth to my dearly beloved [grand]*son, Joseph McDowell, 400 acres of land upon Johnathan's Creek, this forementioned land lying in Buncombe County. Furthermore, he is to have fifty pounds current money paid to him or his current guardian out of my estate.
    I also bequeath my part of the Locust Grove, a tract of land of 640 acres lying in Buncombe County, to my dearly beloved grandson, William Whitson.
    I also bequeath to loving grandsons, John and Thomas Whitson, 640 acres of land known by the name of Richland Creek, equal parts to each, below the lands of John Carson, Esq. on said creek.
    To my beloved grandson, Joseph Whitson, I give and bequeath 320 acres of land lying upon the mouth of Ivie Mill Creek in Buncombe County. ..."
*Note: I believe that this is meant to read "grandson" rather than "son," especially since it is in a list of grandsons and mentions a guardian. It likely refers to the youngest child of Mary Moffett McDowell, newly widowed after the death of Hunting John's son Joseph "P.G." McDowell. This would be their son, Joseph Moffett McDowell, born 10 January 1796.